You know that scene in LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring when Frodo gets knocked down in the tavern, sending the One Ring spinning end over end for what seems like three solid minutes? And then it lands securely on his finger? Replace the One Ring with my engagement ring, and Frodo's finger with the kitchen floor air vent, and you have Rob's and my post-lunch adventure.
Both of us watched, frozen, as the ring disappeared into the vent and clanked down the air duct. Silence. Then I'm on my knees, peering into the into the vent, exclaiming, "Oh my gosh!" and "Honey, I'm sorry!" over and over. Rob is telling me that everything is okay and we're going to get it back. I gamely rip the cover off the vent, but balk at putting my hand inside (I don't know what's down there!). Rob doesn't hesitate and begins fishing in the duct for the ring. Bad news: the duct curves gently about six inches under the floor, then drops straight down. What now?
Rob is still telling me that everything's okay, and he's hunting for a flashlight. He heads under the house to have a look. I follow him (note to Mom and Deedo: it's safe, I promise!) and we see the duct. It's accessible, and looks like there's a joint right where the ring is most likely lying. Rob begins to unpeel the duct tape around the joint...he pulls the joint apart...he reaches inside...out pops my ring!
As soon as Rob found the ring, and began to retape the joint, the scene became comical to me, and I ran to get the camera. This is my hero, pointing to the offending duct:
All's well that ends well, right?
Lynda
2 comments:
I was freaking out just reading that! Glad you got your ring back. I'm always paranoid mine is going to go down the sink drain. I guess Mr. Levi's still cookin', huh? :-) Can't wait to see pictures of that little guy!
Oh, Lynda, I was getting a stomach ache just reading the story. I'm SOOO glad your knight in shining armour came riding in on his white horse and reclaimed your ring. He is a PRINCE! Thank you, Rob, she would never have gotten over losing her wedding ring. Yes, all is well!
Post a Comment