Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Rome Was Built In Two Days


When Levi was about three months old, we started 'sleep training', which means that over time, he learned to put himself to sleep for naps and at bedtime. We could put a sleepy Levi in his crib and walk away; no swinging, swaying, shushing, desperate praying, or jumping through other hoops to get him to sleep. We learned about sleep training from a great book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Wiessbluth. It has been indespensible to us. If you know of anyone expecting a baby, or someone whose child is struggling with sleep, tell them about this book! It was so helpful to us, and paid off; Levi is and always has been a great sleeper.


Wren has been a different story...until today, she's been rocked (more accurately, bounced) to sleep at almost every naptime and bedtime for the last 3 1/2 months. It's exhausting! I began to realize last week that although I love my newfound muscle tone, I don't love having to whisk Wren off to a quiet room for 10-20 minutes of bouncing - while Levi gets into and climbs onto everything I don't normally allow him to get into or climb.

So...Wren's sleep training commenced yesterday. She cried for 20 minutes when I laid her down for her morning nap. I gave in and bounced her to sleep. Her internal clock went off exactly 40 minutes later. She nursed to sleep for the rest of the day, so she didn't get any more 'practice' falling asleep on her own. "No problem," I told myself. "Rome wasn't built in a day."

I wasn't looking forward to this morning's nap. I gave myself a pep talk that went something like this: "It's only 20 minutes of crying. You can handle it, and she won't remember it later. When she's in therapy later in life, it won't be because of the sleep training." So, I laid her down sleepy, but awake, as the book says to do. I closed the door and went off to iron some clothes to keep my mind occupied. Minutes later, I check the clock. Yep, five minutes later and she's still screaming. I tell myself to tune her out and get back to ironing. Ironing is a favorite chore, and I quickly lose awareness of everything around me. When I finish the next shirt, I listen for Wren and hear only silence. I look at the clock and see that it's been only ten minutes since I laid her down. It can't be that easy! Fearing that something terrible has happened to her, I open the bedroom door and peek in. There she is, sleeping serenely, her little hands up over her head. I'm so excited that I close the door and tell Levi (who doesn't care), and head out the door to find Rob and crow about our success.

Wren has had two naps since, and she cried no more than five minutes before soothing herself to sleep each time. Weissbluth says that children who are able to soothe themselves to sleep generally have longer, more quality sleep episodes. Each of Wren's three naps went significantly longer than her naps leading up today. Seriously, if you know of anyone expecting a baby, skip all the other things on their registry and buy them this book!

I'm excited about reclaiming the time usually spent on bouncing. I'm not excited about my arms returning to their pre-Wren state. I guess I have time for push-ups...

Lynda

3 comments:

Craig'O said...

The book sure did help us! (Thanks Lynda) And I'm so happy for you and Wren. When I was bouncing Clint so much, he gave me a gift card for a pedicure for Christmas!! Sweet Boy!

Tonya said...

At what age does the book say to start the training?

Rob and Lynda said...

You can start sleep training as early as 7-8 weeks (depending on the child) since sleep begins to become more organized at that age. We tried at about 8 weeks but Wren wasn't ready until now. This last week has gone well for both naps and bedtime. When we don't succeed, it's because I missed the window and let her get overtired. The EP library has the book - I checked it out initially, but eventually bought it because I referenced it so much!