Friday, January 16, 2009

Again, I Say, "Hallelujah!"


Even though I said I didn't expect Levi to sleep long and sleep late again so soon, I secretly did. I was disappointed when he didn't the next two nights - he seemed to take a step back and wake every two to three hours. Yesterday was the worst daytime on record. I think he was overtired, and following a day-long trip in the car, he refused to sleep unless he was in motion. We put him in the car seat and took turns swinging him until I remembered that our neighbors had offered to lend us their little girl's swing.

We placed him in the swing and held our breath. He was asleep within five minutes and continued to sleep for abour 40 minutes, which appears to be his maximum nap length right now. I had a different baby on my hands post-nap; sunnier, funnier, and smiley, compared to the crabby baby that went to sleep in the swing.

We weren't looking forward to bedtime, even if we did have the swing to fall back on. We started out late - 9:30 pm, and at 10:30 pm, we realized that he wasn't even going to sleep in the swing! I fed him again, put him down in his crib (crying), and went back to the living room to figure out what to do. We picked up the sleep book and searched for answers. Five minutes in, he was still crying and I had no answers. The pressure! I was worried that I was causing irreparable harm by allowing him to 'cry it out' so young. Eight minutes, and still crying. I found a section of the book advising us to let him cry 5, 10, or 20 minutes before going back in. I kept searching, trying to figure out if this advice was appropriate for his age. I checked the clock - ten minutes in and.....silence.

We didn't hear any more cries before we went to bed at 11:30. I woke up when I heard some small cries and checked the clock - 6:00 am! He slept through without any overnight feedings. He ate this morning at 7:00 and went back to sleep. He slept until 8:30. Here's hoping that today isn't as rough as yesterday.

Levi is returning smiles now, and it's so much fun!


Levi went to the pediatrician on Monday for his two month check-up. He weighed 10.5 pounds and measured 23 inches - he's grown 4.5 inches and 4.5 pounds in two months. Levi is so long that I brought out the three month clothes. This is one of my favorite new outfits:

We noticed when he was born that he had long eyelashes, but now they've darkened, and they seem to grow more every night. I took this picture to try to show just how long they are. By the way, I spend money to create eyelashes as long as his.

I found a plush lamb rug for his room that I thought would be good for what we call 'naked time', or more accurately, 'nothing but a diaper time'. The covering is very soft, and he loves worming around on it (Note to moms and Deedo: I turn the temperature higher so that he's warm enough.).

And one last picture - isn't be beautiful?


Lynda

5 comments:

Steven, Sandy & Sophia said...

I am so gald that both f you were able to get thru the crying. I am so proud of both of you. It will get better, I promise. He is getting s big! Miss you guys!!!

YiaYiaHowell said...

I know it was hard to do but you got through it! I will never forget the first time we let Steven cry it out...that 1.5 minutes seemed like an hour! Good for y'all. And he is growing so much and looks so different with a smile...and an open-mouth smile at that. He is just precious! Thanks for sharing the pictures. I guess it is mental telepathy becuase I was thinking about you this morning and wishing you would send some more pictures. Yea!!!

Love,
Mom

Teresa said...

I think God gives boys long eyelashes because he knows they won't be wearing mascara.
Loving the big smiles!

Summer said...

I know those 10 minutes seemed like hours. Sometimes there's nothing you can do but let them work it out. I hope he continues down this road of sleeping well! He is so sweet - he looks like you to me in that last picture!

Craig'O said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Look at little ROB!!!! --Steph