Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Playing Coy


We heard the baby’s heartbeat today! I’ve (Lynda) been looking forward to this appointment for some time, since I’m several weeks away from the ultrasound that can determine gender, and I’ve heard that you can sometimes predict a baby’s gender from the speed of their heartbeat. Evidently, a rapid heartbeat (about 160 bpm) indicates a girl, and a slower heartbeat (140 bpm) indicates a boy. My doctor dismissed this as a wives’ tale, but several family members and friends have said that it proved true with their babies.

So, the moment arrived…the doctor put the Doppler wand on my stomach, and after some hunting picked up a little heartbeat. I held my breath while she checked her watch and counted off the beats. She paused and announced, “The heart rate is 150.” 150?! Right in the middle? I hope this child gets a little more cooperative when he/she leaves my belly. Ugh. I’m counting down until that ultrasound now...

2 comments:

Craig'O said...

I'm gonna need to see some pictures of the Luttrulls. I don't want to forget what y'all look like! -Steph

Rob and Lynda said...

We probably won't get to snap a picture until we get to Colorado, but you're right - we need to post a picture soon.